A blog with no set theme. It's kinda like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Tutu Extreme

  It's spirit week at our school, and yesterday was Extreme Team day. There are ten teams at our school and each team has their own colors. I decided make myself a tutu with our team's colors.
   It was really simple to make! I just googled "how to make a tutu" and found some great tutorials. I went to Hobby Lobby and spent $10 on the materials. All you need is elastic and tulle. I purchased 8 yards of tulle--four for each color--at $1.09 per yard. I wish I had purchased about 6 yards per color to make the tutu more full, but the great thing about this precious project is you can always add to it without having to start over.

Step 1: Cut elastic. Measure around your waist with the elastic and then make it about 2-3 inches shorter. The elastic will stretch out so if you make it using your actual waist measurement then it will be too big.

Step 2: Sew elastic. Okay, that's the real step, but I'll be honest and tell you I straight-up hot glued my elastic ends together. I didn't have a needle and thread on hand so I used the resources available. It worked great!

Step 3: Cut tulle into 6-in strips. I just held the fabric up to my waist and decided the length I wanted my tutu. Then I cut accordingly. One of the great things about tulle is that you don't have to be precise when you cut it. It's going to scrunch up so your strips don't have to be exactly uniform.

Step 4: Put elastic around something. I turned a large vase upside down and used it.

Step 5: Make a slip knot around the elastic. I alternated two blues then two greens.




Step 6: Scrunch tulle over as you go to ensure that your tutu is full.


 Finished product! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment