A blog with no set theme. It's kinda like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Smell of Home

  I absolutely love driving to visit my family with my windows down because the road we live off of has its own smell. Of course, the individual scents are not exclusive to just RRR (Rifle Range Rd), but it is the combination of scents that make it unique.
  It's a very earthy scent. I pass hay fields and cotton fields on my way to my childhood home. I love the smell of fresh-cut hay. I love the expanse of green and white that is the cotton fields. It smells of the country. And I love it. It's not the type of smell you would necessarily want bottled up in a candle so your whole house could smell of it, but it's nice.
   It is said that the strongest sense tied to memory is smell. I believe it because I'm flooded with memories while driving down RRR. Memories of playing in the woods with Kelly. Watching my Granddaddy gather up cows and roll hay. Picking cotton on a class field trip.

So, pretty much, all this is written to say driving home makes me so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment