A blog with no set theme. It's kinda like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

To Resolve or Not to Resolve

   I normally do not make new year resolutions. I find them to be a bit cliche. People spend January and (maybe) part of February trying to create a better version of themselves. Generally they do not succeed in making this change, or should I saw tweak, a permanent one. Ultimately they wind up disappointed and, truthfully, their real new years resolution is to do better next year with keeping up their resolutions.

   According to http://www.usa.gov/, the most popular new year resolutions are as follows:
  • Drink Less Alcohol
  • Get a Better Education
  • Get a Better Job
  • Get Fit
  • Lose Weight
  • Manage Debt
  • Manage Stress
  • Quit Smoking Now
  • Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle
  • Save Money
  • Take a Trip
  • Volunteer to Help Others
Just a bit of trivia.

   Anyway, as I got to thinking about resolutions, I decided that I resolve to tweak myself on a daily basis. Everyday I ask for God's help with a certain aspect of myself where I feel could use a little improvement. My typical requests include (but are not limited to) loving more, serving more, worshipping more, witnessing more, patience, and wisdom.

   This year, I did decide to make a new year resolution: To get closer to God and, consequently, become a better follower of Him. I don't know if it would technically be a resolution--maybe more a lifetime aspiration. It's one where I know that I will stumble and fall, but it's also one where I know I will get  back up, brush off the dirt, and keep on towards my goal.

   After a resolution is shared with others, it is generally followed with a "Wish me luck!". Well I'm not going to say that; I'm going to follow it with a "Pray for me!". I could certainly use it!

   Wishing all a very happy 2011!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment