A blog with no set theme. It's kinda like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Physical Fitness is a Pain in the Neck…and butt, and back, and arms, and legs.

I wish I were one of those people who enjoy working out. I know people who literally love it. They like to feel the burn. They don’t see that time as an obligation. They love going through the sweat to get the results. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people; I never have been. I have gotten to the point that it becomes routine and I accept it, but I have never reached the point of enjoyment.
               Before people get all huffy and puffy about my naturally-thin self talking about working out, let me put this disclaimer out there: I’m not working out for weight control. I am aware that I do not need to lose weight. I work out to keep my body in shape and, mainly, for endurance. I work with 12-year olds; they have a lot of energy. I don’t want to be the teacher sitting behind my desk when my kids ask me to go outside and play a game with them. I don’t want to have to take an elevator because I get winded taking the stairs. I don’t want to be that person in the parking lot circling around and around waiting for an up-close spot to become available when I could just park a bit further back and walk. And, honestly, genetics only take you so far; then age steps in. I want to go ahead and make fitness a part of my lifestyle so that when I do actually have to start thinking about portion-control and all that good stuff, it won’t be as hard of a transition.
               That being said, last week was my first time working out in three months. It was torture. I could only run half the distance I am used to, and I had to lower my weights that I lift. I was so sore I didn’t return to the gym until yesterday. It is so discouraging to start back at Square 1 and know that it is all your own doing--especially when you loathe working out to begin with. I left before my workout was over both times that I went this week and last week. I am out of shape and out of routine, and I get bored crazy-easily when that happens. I cannot see any results and I know I won’t be able to for a while so I think short-term and figure what’s the point. Sooo not the thing to do.
               So I’ve come up with a solution: work out with other people. My friend, Jenna, got me a copy of the Insanity workouts. You are supposed to do it 6 days a week for approximately 2 months. Most people see a year’s worth of results in those 60 days. However, as one may assume, those results don’t come easily. These workouts are the most intense I have ever seen. I watched a few of them while lying on my couch last year (that’s right, laugh it up). I decided to do the fit test—not even a workout—and couldn’t get through it. They definitely live up to their name. Anyway, a couple of my co-workers and I are going to do it together a few days a week after-school. We’re not sticking to the strict 6-day a week regimen, but whatevs. I’m just excited to have people to work out with.
               Today is supposed to be our first day. I keep warning them not to be alarmed if I’ve fallen on the floor wheezing. They laugh and think I’m joking. I’m totally not. If I get through today, it will truly be a miracle. I might even have to take a sick day tomorrow because I can’t get out of bed. We’ll see.
               I’ll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! But- if you need a laugh- come watch your sister and I get through the P90X series... We've been doing the abs for a few days, and threw in pylometrics on Monday. I can barely walk. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete