A blog with no set theme. It's kinda like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get.

Monday, October 18, 2010

A Shelter in the Time of Storm

     As most of you know, I am a teacher. I absolutely love my job!!! Very much! I felt the calling to be a teacher around the 2nd or 3rd year of college, but I was already majoring in something else. When I told my parents of my intentions to change majors, they quickly tried to change my mind--understandably so. Teachers put up with a lot of flack and disrespect all while getting paid what most would consider to be a menial salary. I grew up in a small school where it was considered taboo if you didn't go to church on a regular basis. For the most part, if you got in trouble at school, your parents came up the school, not to get onto the teachers/administration for getting onto their baby, but to give their child a good tongue-lashing (or worse). My parents feared that this was not an accurate present-day  model of the school system, and that if I did become a teacher, I would wind up under-paid, under-appreciated, and unhappy. I got the "kids today aren't what they used to be" speech. Still, I remained unwavering. They conceded, knowing that it was my life and ultimately my decision. They were just trying to point out the cons to what I saw to be a pros-only list.

     I am pleased (and so are my parents) to say that I am so completely happy with my decision. This is my second year teaching, and I absolutely, positively love my job and my students. Sometimes I feel like I love my kids a little too much since I'm always making excuses to myself for their lack of effort or good behavior. But the point is: I'm happy. Could I be making more money doing something else that I'd probably love just as much? Sure. But I've never known what it was like to have lots and lots of money at my disposal so, you know what they say, ignorance is bliss. I'm all about simplicity and leading a simple life. I do alright. I don't want for anything that is a necessity (but an English Bulldog), and I have enough to do what I want for the most part.

     I don't know what it's like to be a mother, but I can honestly say I love every single one of these kids like they were my own. I get upset with them if they don't meet their potential, proud when they do, mad when they act a fool, excited over their milestones, etc.. If they do something that I don't care for or are disrespectful, I forgive them instantaneously (for the most part) because I love them so much.

     I turn the twenty-minute commute that I have to work each day into prayer time. I like to take that time to recognize my blessings, pray for family and friends, put on my spiritual armour (I certainly need it--not to stand against the wiles of the devil but my own self), and pray for my kids. I don't know what it's like for them at home. I work in a fairly large school system so there is definitely a variety. Some kids come from great prosperity;some from poverty. Some have a great support group at home; some are lucky to get dinner. It is my prayer every day that our school, and especially my room, will be a safe-haven for these kids. A shelter in the time of storm. That they will see God's love for them through me and my love for them. I have them for less than an hour a day. And during that hour, we are hitting the ground running doing some serious mathematics. A lot of times I don't know what is going on in their personal and/or home lives. Sure there are some key indicators, but I don't know for sure unless I talk to them about it. That's why I pray for them. That no matter the situation at home, whether it be good or bad, they know that my room is their getaway zone. For that hour of each day, they are loved and cared for. Hopefully that is the case with every class, but I know I can only be accountable for my one hour that I personally have  with them.

     I say all this to say this next sentence: God is good and faithful to answer our prayers! I don't want to put information about any of my students out there for the world to see so I'll just say this: I recently got confirmation that the above paragraph is much needed and appreciated. Some of these kids do feel the way I hoped they would--school and my classroom is their shelter from life's storm.  That may not seem like much, but to me it is everything. I know that my room is a haven. That even though a child's life may be upside down sometimes, they are happy in my room. Their problems aren't there for that hour. And that's what makes it all worth it!

     I'm so grateful that I have led a problem-free life. Now that is not to say I haven't gone through some tough times, but in the grand scheme of things, I've been dealt a good hand.  I had a normal childhood. I knew that I was loved by my family and my Savior. I lead a normal adult-life. God is good and so are His blessings! I cannot thank Him enough!

1 comment: