A blog with no set theme. It's kinda like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Out of the Mouths of [Semi] Babes Part Deux

   So I have a whole new batch of kids for the 11-12 school year, and they are continuing to crack me up with their comments and logic.

  • Today's Thought for the Day: "Procrastination is opportunity's deadliest assassin." Me: "Okay, what do ya think about this one?" Student: "Well, it's like my favorite pitcher, Tim Lincecum. He's really good, but people always think he's not very strong because he's really skinny. So yeah, those people are procrastinating Tim Lincecum because even though he's skinny, he's a really good pitcher." Gotta give him an A for effort!
  • I made it a point to not smile during the first five minutes of class to prove a point--you are more approachable and people feel better around you when you have a pleasant look on your face. (There's a back story to why I was doing this, but that's not really important.) So when I asked the kids to raise their hands if they thought I was in a bad mood when they first walked in and half of the class raised their hand, I was very satisfied that the point I was trying to make was made. When prompted with the question, "Why?", a student says, "because of your outfit." Several of the kids nod their heads in agreement. (I was wearing black pants, solid grey shirt, messy pony tail, and glasses.) So I'm thinking (a) my point actually wasn't made, and (b) what the heck is wrong with my outfit? So, of course, I had to inquire what the problem was. They said, "Well, you normally dress really cute. Like yesterday, you had on a pretty dress. Today, you look like you just don't care about anything." Well, alrighty then. Haha! Guess I asked for it  :/
  • I asked a child about his mother coming to eat lunch with him in the cafeteria. He said he wasn't a fan of that. Another child says, "I wish my mom could come eat lunch with me." I agree and say that would be cool. He continues, "Unfortunately, she naturally repels children." I die laughing because he's totally serious. "From the moment I step off the bus to the moment I open the door and walk inside my house, I have this intense sense of fear." (Mommies and Daddies, beware of what your children will say about you when you're not around.)

No comments:

Post a Comment